Classroom English 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classroom English 2

Instructor: Jayne Crawford

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Becky's Reflection

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Becky

Becky

Becky's Reflection Empty
PostSubject: Becky's Reflection   Becky's Reflection EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 7:57 am

1. Cindy's Class (Speaking with support)
Rationale: encourage students to speak English with newly learned vocabulary. Check students weather they got the new words with the shopping game.
Target level: 9 to 10 years old

I liked using big bear and small bear to get student's attention. And I think children will like the lesson when they are learning language using fun materials like this class during their ones. Her target level for her lesson was well chosen, I think.
But, new words, 'tiger' and 'elephant' seem a bit easy for children if they are learning sentences as ‘I’d like a cat please’ or ‘How much?’. On the other hand, by learning sentences like above, students may learn how to buy things in English. I liked using card materials during the shopping game.

2. Cho's Class (Speaking with Support)

Rationale: explain good ways to encourage students in speaking. I'll introduce "I'm washing me ____" using pictures, flash cards, and a song. The reason I chose this expression is that it's an authentic sentence so students can use it outside of the classroom, in real life. To make students familiar with the expression, I'll repeat the expression in various ways. Idioms that taught in Last class: legs, feet, knees, hands, face and arms

Learning many of the idioms and sentences using the ‘washing song’ as well as many of the materials was very interesting. And they can be used in student’s daily life! Teaching children words like ‘tooth paste’, ‘tooth brush’ and ‘washing basin’ will be good for them to use. And also checking out the words they have learned before -names of the body parts- with the girl named ‘cleany’ was very fun and easy to participate. I think her lesson goal is well achieved during the class.

3. Somi's Class (speaking with support)

Rationale: songs, chants and rhymes can help students easily learn about not only new words and phrases, but also pronunciation, stress and intonation. Also chants or songs are very helpful to remember expressions, so students can speak some expressions outside the school. Plus, all the efforts children make to speak English, children feel a sense of achievement and increase their confidence to speak out more English.
Target level: 6 to 7 years old. beginners

I liked the song with rock scissors paper making lion, snail, butterfly, crab, cat, rabbit and elephant! Young learners will be very much interested in those activities.
During the chant, we learned the sentences as ‘What can you make with your hands?’, ‘I can make snail with my hands.’ Even though it was a bit confusing, the chant helped a lot to memorize the sentence. If those chants are used over and over during post classes, students will be memorized them perfectly.
And the sentences as ‘What does _____ have?’, ‘_____has mane. (whiskers, bill, beak, claws and beak.)’ with performing mime and chant was a bit hard for 6 to 7 years old but still very catchy and funny.

4. Tricia's class (Speaking Freely)

Raionale: This chapter helps the students to get information from each other. While speaking, it is important to encourage the students to communicate without embarrassment. The students can develop their communicative competence by themselves. They also can practice pattern drills when they can get the information.
Target level: adults –intermediate-

In my opinion, her lesson was well prepared for adult learners to think about where they have been on their vacation with the music and images of the world. During her lesson, Students have had a good chance to drill following patterns ‘Where have you been to?’, ‘What did you see?’, ‘What did you enjoy the most?’ and ‘What food is popular in ~~?’. And using the ball helped many timid Korean students to express their thinking with big enjoyment. I think her lesson goal had been achieved very well. And I if I have a chance to teach adult learners, I would use this game, too.

5. Rachel Kim (Speaking Freely)
Rationale: students are interested in speaking and communicate freely. I encourage they can use express when they describe about picture and communicate freely. Describe about the picture they drew.
Target level: 10 years old

The class was about coloring the paper using 6 color pencils and describe on their drawing with in pair work. I think 10 years old learners would be interested in coloring works and talking about their own pictures. I think her lesson will be suitable for her target learners. I hope if the teacher can correct on student’s speaking if she can participate in student’s conversation. And the image game on the screen with a student was helpful to other students speak out to describe what they see on the screen.

6. lynn (speaking freely)
Lesson rationale: this chapter explains how we can help children to speak more fluently in English. I try to involve each student in speaking activities. I make students stimulate their minds to help foster their imaginations through the activity. This activity provides students with the positive awareness of life’s possibilities. I can also help them build new vocabulary, encourage them to speak English and develop their listening skills as well as their speaking abilities.
Target level:3-4 graders, advanced level

Main activity was creative and interesting. Using ‘what if ___?’ students have had brain stimulating experience thinking about their future and other possibilities they might have in their thinking. And answering in public, students have had a chance to get a correction from teacher, too. Many of interesting questions such as ‘What if you have a super power?’ , ‘What if you have one leg what would you do?’ , ‘What if you can meet Santa clause what will you say to him?’, ‘What if you were an animal, what would you be?’, ‘What if You were a boy?’, ‘What if you could meet any of famous persons?’, ‘ What if you can go where you want to, where would you go?’ and ‘What if you could be anyone in the world?’. Every question was very interesting and many students have had a great time imagining about those questions.

7. Judy (Listen and Make)

Rationale: this chapter explains that how listening to English and making thing can be done without expecting children to speak English at first. Listening is the first step that children should improve before speaking, that’s why it is considered as one of very important part in learning English. First of all, I'll give children some instructions what they have to make using different colored clay, and repeat it. Lastly, I'll let them make their own creative things.
Target level: 8 to 9 years old
[b]

I liked making things with clay –assuming that I have my own clay on the class-especially making new colors blending others. Her class was lead by teacher to guiding them to listen and do the tasks. The sentences used on her class were like the following.
‘Let’s learn about different colors and shapes.’, ‘Talk about prefer colors’, ‘Choose picture card when teacher call the name of it’, ‘What color is it?’ ,’Make yellow circle with the color clay.’ ‘Let’s make circle’, ‘Let’s make a square’, ‘Blend the clay and make the color’, ‘What colors do we have?’ and ’Please make your own color with the clay’. Students aged 8 to 9 would be able to do according to the teacher’s directions, I guess. Making them to know the name of the shapes by using flash cards was very helpful. I think her lesson goal has been well achieved.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Becky's Reflection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Becky's Reflection   Becky's Reflection EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Overall good comments Becky. You did comment on many students' lessons that you thought the lesson goal was achieved, but I want you to be very specific. For example, Trisha's reflection said that it's important for students to talk without embarrassment, and practice communicative competence by themselves. Was this accomplished? How? (by having the children throw the ball around, they are having fun and also speaking, which seems to take the pressure off them). This should be about 1 or 2 sentences.

Thanx for the thoughtful reflection!
Back to top Go down
https://tesol.forumotion.com

Becky's Reflection
Page 1 of 1