Classroom English 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classroom English 2

Instructor: Jayne Crawford

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cho's reflection

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cho

cho

Cho's reflection Empty
PostSubject: Cho's reflection   Cho's reflection EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 8:28 pm

1. Julie – Chapter 6 (Reading in English)
This chapter contains 'reading independentley - finding information. They explain when children can read, they can use the printed word as an alternative source of English. So I want children to learn and feel fun & happy through using English tips. -This activitity is finding out the way. Students will learn some related expressions, and they can read some sentences, then will find out final destination at a map.

flower In my opinion, her lesson was very impressive. Her ppt file was interesting enough to get attention from children. Her rationale was successfully achieved, I think. The reason is that she repeated the expressions several times so children could be familiar with them. Also the final destination activity was very helpful wrap-up to go over the expressions they had learned. Giving homework was a very good idea because homework was related to object of the rationale. One thing I want to suggest is using some storybook related to the direction and the expressions you taught. Overall, I was very impressed by her lesson.

2. Eileen – Chapter 6 (Reading in English)
This chapter explains the way the teacher lead the children to move from spoken language to written language. Students learn to match sounds and letters and identify individual sounds in a word (initial, final, and medial sounds). -Then they can read words, phrases, and even sentences. In this class, students enjoy a story about animal friends and their movements. After that, they can read the main sentence and practice it so that the can speak fluently.

flower Her lesson was well organized. Her activities, ‘friend’s map’ and ‘making sentence’, were pretty helpful to learn many kinds of verbs in meaningful ways. She made children to practice the main sentence several times and that made children easier to remember what they learned. However, there were many vocabularies and also the main sentence was very long for 6~7 years old. I think it would have been better if she had concentrated on fewer words and make the main sentence a little bit shorter.

3. Jane – Chapter 6 (Reading in English)
This chapter explains how to use reading activities that focus on meaning and support pupils as they move from spoken to written language. I chose the following activities - bomb game to focus on meaning, word recognition and connection between familiar sounds and written words or phrases. Also, I want to make every student participate and enjoy the lesson without losing focus. Every student will enjoy this game, whatever their level, because of this game depends on their learning ability and also their good luck.

flower I really liked her lesson and the game. Before she got into the main activity she reviewed the vocabularies, which really helped students to remember words. In addition, she made students to practice the main sentences by reading dialogues. The main activity, the bomb game, assisted the students to exercise words and goal sentences. I really wanted to use the game in my future classes. I think it would have been better if she had reduced the time of the main activity. This would have helped students to concentrate more.

4. Joanne – Chapter 8 (Reading & Telling Stories)
I think that stories are the most valuable resource for young learners. I focus on how to get their attention and I want them to make fun while listening the story. I’ll introduce some foods with flash cards. -Using stories with pictures & gestures help children understand, also I will introduce language in context, and help children acquire intonation and pronunciation by listening.

flower Her lesson was based on the story, “The very hungry caterpillar”. She started her lesson with routine questions, songs and chants. She gave the children a very comfortable atmosphere. Also, her fun motions and songs were interesting enough to get attention from the children. She helped the children understand the vocabularies in the story using flash cards. Her board she made for the story was really effective in helping children comprehend the main idea and the vocabularies in the story. However, one thing I felt lacking in achieving the rationale was that there was no activity focused on intonation and pronunciation. If she had had an activity related to them, it would have made her lesson much more successful.

5. Yumi – Chapter 8 (Reading & Telling Stories)
Storytelling exposes children naturally to language. They can build vocabulary, use more complex sentence, and improve comprehension through story telling. -In my lesson, children learn the relations among family members and the five sense verbs (smell, touch, hearing, sight, taste) through the bears' activities.

flower Her lesson was focused on recognizing family members and five sense verbs. I think her lesson was pretty successful. When she read along the story, she stressed the words to make the students remember and understand. Also, she continuously told about family members to make sure the students learn about them. However, I think the five sense verbs were not emphasized enough to make sure the students remember. Other than that, her lesson was really helpful.

6. Polly – Chapter 8 (Reading & Telling Stories)
This chapter is about how to tell and read a story for young learners. There is a difference between telling and reading a story. One of the most important differences is teacher’s intonation pattern. I’d like to tell the story and read the story at the same time with some materials. Using materials could help that children are interesting and enjoyable of the storybook.

flower The most impressive thing about her lesson was that she explained the concepts of the comparative degree very well although its concepts are very difficult for young learners. Also, she explained the comparative degree with a story, which made students learn in a meaningful way.

7. Linda - Chapter 2 (Writing)
This lesson is called "Don't do that". Children can listen, speak, read, and write about the imperative sentences. I've prepared writing class for learning imperative sentences. Also, I'd like to use storybook for this class. This book focuses on 'how to be good friend in the class'. Therefore, the content will be helpful to the 4th grade students because they are in important period with classmates.

flower Her lesson was directly connected to the idea of writing. In that sense, her lesson was pretty well prepared. Also, her content was not only for studying a language but also for having good behavior. Also, she made the students to write sentences in order to practice writing. However, there were pretty many words that we didn’t know the meanings of. Even though we had no idea what the words meant we had to just write the words. If she had explained the meanings of those words, it would have helped the students a lot. bounce confused
Back to top Go down

Cho's reflection
Page 1 of 1