Classroom English 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classroom English 2

Instructor: Jayne Crawford

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jane's reflection

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kim yeon jung

kim yeon jung

Jane's reflection Empty
PostSubject: Jane's reflection   Jane's reflection EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 9:32 pm

1. Julie – Chapter 6 (Reading in English)
Her target learner is Grade 4,5, they can read words and simple sentences independently. I think she notice that point and made the interesting ppt with animation effect according her learner's level. As a teacher, I surprised at seeing some students don't know what is right side and left side after teaching them about direction in my class. Actually I thought that topic was really easy, but some students had a trouble to understand the direction. So I like Julie's first activity which is to listen to what teacher says and do. I think that kinds of TPR is a good way to make the students understand surely and also teacher can check wheather students understand or not easily. I like her pretty and strong visual mertial too. If I teach the students about 'finding out the way', I want to use that mertial at the beginnig of the lesson to get students' motivation with a song like Julie. At the end of the lesson she gave the students a homework by showing how to do homework reading some sentence by herself. It might be good have students read the sentence.
I think she accomplished today's goal.

2. Eileen – Chapter 6 (Reading in English)
I like her preparation for lesson. She showed many things from singing to worksheet to spinner dice. Actually I thought it might be hard for 6-7 year old students to teach reading words or sentences except phonics. But I changed my mind that it can be possible according to appropriate book choice and teacher's strategy. She chosed the book with a song . The lyrics of the song was the line of the book. Even though they can not read the book at first, I think they can get to read a book finally after singing the song severial time. Because the young learners really like to sing. They are kinds of sponge. She used a wonderful spinner dice for game. I think it would be better just one student spin the dice and teacher or other students say 'stop' instead
she went around the class. Because teacher can make more students practice the target language with fun within more short time. Anyway I learned animals and their movements from her exciting activities.

3. Jane – Chapter 6 (Reading in English)
As I mentioned my rational- how to use reading activities that focus on meaning and support pupils as they move from spoken to written language, I chose the activity named bomb game to confirm how well student know word meaning, word recognition and connection between familiar sounds and written words or phrases that they learned in the previous. I made the questions such as scramble letters and words and the questions about what the words and sentences mean. Actually this bomb game took one week for me to make. It was hard time for me. It was the first time for me to make. But after playing the game I was happy because students like this game. The success of this game depends on not only students' level but also their good luck, so students enjoyed the game I think.

4. Joanne – Chapter 8 (Reading & Telling Stories)
She taught the motion with a song before singing. She started to speak the target language and then speak it with hand motion and then sing a song. I like that prosedure. It's very easy to understand how to learn something. I like her chant too. I think that chant was good way to get students' concentration toward a teacher. She told the story of the book to students with props instead of reading a book. I think telling a story is better than reading a book for young learner like 5-7 years old. Because they like to listen to a story from teacher with showing gesture, voice change and some mertials in three dimensions. So I think she chosed the best way to teach for young learners. She is a good best teller.

5. Yumi – Chapter 8 (Reading & Telling Stories)
Before reading a book, she wanted to interact with students about the picture of the book. She drew students' background knowledge and mentioned the target vocabulary family members and the five sense verbs. I think that task is a good way to stimulate students' curiosity for reading a book. Feeling to read a book is one of the most important factor for me. After pretask, she read a book with several sound effects. She considered students' different learning style such as visual, audial, kinesthetic style when she read a book actually storytelling. That's why lots of students enjoyed her lesson.
From her lesson, students learned family members and the five sense verbs naturally.

6. Polly – Chapter 8 (Reading & Telling Stories)
I learned the difference between reading and telling from her. One of difference was teacher's intonation pattern. That's why she told the story with several intonation. Her intonation changing was good enough to attract me. I can imagine how students love it. The topic might be difficult for young learners but using proper meterials and repetition of target language could help students' understanding. I like her chant related to the topic with motion.
It was easy to follow, students would not forget the meaning with motion. That means students would remember the story and the target language whenever they do a chant

7. Linda - Chapter 2 (Writing)
I like her idea when we are making a book. It maybe a little hard job a teacher to prepare every student's material because there are over 10 students in the classroom. But whenever teacher do it, students can enjoy making a book with fun and deep immersion. Linda printed the colored small pictures on the label paper which is easy to attach on the paper. That is good way to less waste of time than using glue. I like her choice of the book. The book was written really authentic language. Students could learn the vocabulary which is used among children and also how to be good friend. Her lesson was student centered. I can imagine how students like to write something on their own book. Maybe students will do their effort to write words beautifully on the book because it is made by themselves.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Jane's reflection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jane's reflection   Jane's reflection EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Hello Jane!

Your game was a hit with everyone. The time you took to make it was worthwhile, and I'm sure you'll use it in many classes just by changing the questions.

Thank-you for your overall comments and participation in this class. Your comments on this forum have always been very informative, and I can tell you spent a lot of time thinking and reflecting on each person's lesson. cheers

It was a pleasure to teach you and good luck in your future teaching English! I hope you found this class useful and learning from others practical and resourceful.

Jayne
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://tesol.forumotion.com
kim yeon jung

kim yeon jung

Jane's reflection Empty
PostSubject: thank you for your comment.   Jane's reflection EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 6:53 am

Wow! thank you for your comment.
I appreciate it.
As a teacher, I know it is really hard work to write comment for every student.
Giving feedback is very useful for students to improve their learning,
but teachers usually skip the step because it takes long time.
I can feel your passion.*^^*
After my first PPT, I made the second PPT yesterday.
It's more upgraded PPT than the first one. *^^*
My first PPT started from you.
Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Jane's reflection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jane's reflection   Jane's reflection EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 am

Oh great! I would love to see your new PPT. Could you please email it to me? jaycraw@gmail.com. Thanx. I can email you my jeopardy PPT.

I tried to coordinate file sharing with the class. Is it possible for you to upload your file to Joshua's AIMS2 (Q & A section)? If so, students could all upload their files, but are students allowed to download them?

Thank-you!
Back to top Go down
https://tesol.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Jane's reflection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jane's reflection   Jane's reflection Empty

Back to top Go down

Jane's reflection
Page 1 of 1